Habari Gani is Swahili for: “What’s the news?”
The NEWS for you is: EMPOWERMENT.
Here’s your EMPOWERMENT LESSON for the week of April 17:
This Week’s Black History Icon: 5 Things To Know About Hazel Harrison
- She Was the FIRST African American concert pianist
- She studied with famous Italian composer and conductor Ferrucio Busoni
- When she was just 21 years old, Harrison was invited to tour with the Berlin Philharmonic
- The media referred to her as “the premiére pianiste of the colored race.”
- In her later years, she taught at Tuskegee Institute (later Tuskegee University), Alabama A & M, and Jackson College
Extra tidbits: Hazel Harrison eventually produced another African American female piano wizard, Vivian Scott, who made her debut at New York Town Hall.
Harrison was homeschooled for most of her childhood, making her accomplishments all the more impressive.
*Originally published August 20, 2012.