Habari Gani is Swahili for: “What’s the news?”
The NEWS for you is: EMPOWERMENT.
Here’s your EMPOWERMENT LESSON for the week of August 26:
This Week’s Black History Icon: 5 Things To Know About George Washington Henderson
In ADDITION to being the FIRST African American inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, George Washington Henderson ALSO:
- Got a late start in his education; was illiterate into his teens
- After earning a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Vermont, he furthered his education by earning a Master’s degree; he also earned a Bachelor of Divinity degree from Yale
- Studied at the University of Berlin under the Hooker-Dwight (theology) Fellowship
- Was chair of the Theology Department at Straight (later Dillard) University
- Was Dean of Theology at Fisk University
Extra tidbits: Henderson was married twice; he had a son that didn’t survive infancy. The University of Vermont established pre- and post-doctoral divinity fellowships in his honor.