Habari Gani is Swahili for: “What’s the news?”
The NEWS for you is: EMPOWERMENT.
Here’s your EMPOWERMENT LESSON for the week of March 4:
This Week’s Black History Icon: 5 Things To Know About Edward Alexander Bouchet
In ADDITION to being the FIRST African American to earn a PhD in ANY discipline, Edward Alexander Bouchet was ALSO:
- The FIRST African American graduate from Yale University (1874)
- The FIRST African American to be nominated to Phi Beta Kappa (elected 1884)
- Only the SIXTH (6th) in the U.S. to earn a PhD in Physics
- A professor of physics and chemistry at the Institute for Colored Youth (late Cheyney University)
- A professor at Bishop College
Extra tidbits: Bouchet’s thesis was on “Measuring Refractive Indices”. Though he was one of only a handful of Physics PhDs, because he was Black, Bouchet was unable to secure a teaching position at a university.