Habari Gani is Swahili for: “What’s the news?”
The NEWS for you is: EMPOWERMENT.
Here’s your EMPOWERMENT LESSON for the week of May 26:
This Week’s Black History Icon: 5 Things To Know About George B. Vashon
In ADDITION to being the FIRST Black lawyer in New York, George B. Vashon ALSO:
- Entered college at age 16
- Was the FIRST Black graduate of Oberlin College
- Was the FIRST Black professor at Howard University
- Worked as a solicitor for the Freedmen’s Bureau
- Was instrumental in establishing Howard University Law School
Extra tidbits: Vashon represented the State of Rhode Island at the National Convention of Colored Men of America. He moved to Haiti in 1849, where he taught Latin, Greek, and English for two years. George Vashon was also the third African American to hold a teaching post at New York Central College.