Habari Gani is Swahili for: “What’s the news?”
The NEWS for you is: EMPOWERMENT.
Here’s your EMPOWERMENT LESSON for the week of November 11:
This Week’s Black History Icon: 5 Things To Know About Frederick Madison Roberts
In ADDITION to being the FIRST known African American elected to the California State Assembly, Frederick Madison Roberts ALSO:
- Was the FIRST African American graduate of Los Angeles High School
- Was a graduate of Oberlin College
- Was deputy assessor of El Paso County, Colorado
- Founded The New Age Dispatch
- Sponsored legislation to establish the University of California at Los Angeles
Extra tidbits: During his 16 years in the California state legislature, Roberts was known as the “Dean of the Assembly”. Roberts also ran (unsuccessfully) to represent California in the U.S. House of Representatives; his opponent’s campaign slogan was: “My opponent’s a Nigger”. Roberts is also believed to be a great-grandson of Sally Hemmings and Thomas Jefferson.