Melissa Harris Perry’s letter to SCOTUS Justice Clarence Thomas got me thinking about this whole Abigail Fisher business:
In case you are unfamiliar with who Abigail Fisher is, let me put it in a nutshell: She’s yet another SPOILED, RACIST Caucasian female who claims that were it not for the University of Texas at Austin’s Affirmative Action admissions policy giving away “her” spot to African Americans – and other persons of color – she’d be a UT grad, today.
That has to be the BIGGEST load of CRAP I’ve heard this year; it’s doubtful there’ll be much to top it.
Allow me to make the following rebuttal of Fisher’s wet-paper-bag-weak argument:
(1) Abigail Fisher wasn’t OWED a spot in UT’s Graduating Class of 2008 simply because she WANTED one.
(2) It wasn’t “her” spot to begin with; it’s called the University of Texas at Austin, NOT Abigail Fisher’s University. If UT didn’t WANT to admit her – for whatever reason – it didn’t HAVE to.
(3) Fisher doesn’t feel an ounce of remorse over taking the spot “belonging” to someone who had LSU (Louisiana State University) listed as HIS dream school. Why would she? LSU accepted her, and she obviously didn’t have too many qualms about attending school in Baton Rouge, so LSU is where she went. That she might have “stolen” someone else’s dream of attending his first-choice undergraduate institution was NOT her problem. (Though I must say that it’s interesting how that’s never come up.)
(4) The University of Texas has unequivocally stated that EVEN WITHOUT race-based considerations, Fisher STILL wouldn’t have made the cut. Or, to put it another way: NEGROES and OTHER COLOREDS or NO Negroes and Other Coloreds, Dear Abby wasn’t gettin’ in.
(5) Texas has a “set aside” that grants automatic college admission to students who GRADUATE IN THE TOP 10 percent of their high school class. (I’ll let you do the math on that one.)
(6) ONLY the ARROGANCE of WHITE SUPREMACY would make it SO HARD for Fisher to comprehend the very real possibility that she didn’t get accepted into her “dream school” because she JUST WASN’T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET IN.
(7) Even with “her” spot being stolen, Abigail Fisher still has a job working in her chosen career field, living in the city of her choice. So, what exactly did she “lose”? Saying that she “probably would have gotten a better job offer” had she come out of UT is based on the premise that she was going to be offered a job in the first place; there was NO WAY of knowing that. (See #6)
Since we’re on the topic of people “taking” opportunities away from other people based on race, I have to ask: What about the white kids who apply to HBCUs?
Our HISTORY in this country – over 400 YEARS of DIRECT and INDIRECT oppression – is what makes HBCUs necessary. That we can now sit in the front of the bus, eat and drink with white folk, and use the same bathrooms as they do doesn’t suddenly render the schools relics of a bygone era.
ESPECIALLY not when in the 21st century, there remains SO MUCH resentment, aimed squarely toward ANY African American who DARES “step out of his place” by applying to ANY of the country’s top-tier, predominately white institutions.
And that would include the University of Texas.
However, white students can go to Black schools, claim “minority” status, walk away with money earmarked SPECIFICALLY for African American students – for the reasons I’ve mentioned (don’t get it twisted) – and we’re supposed to not only ACCEPT that, but also be FLATTERED by it?
“Mr. Charlie” has just figured out a way to get his college tuition paid, and at YOUR EXPENSE; that he has to spend four years “making nice” with you, and making you feel validated in your quest for HIS ACCEPTANCE, is nothing more than a necessary evil on his part – FYI.
Know that, thank you. Next question…
Riddle me this: HOW has Affirmative Action as a public policy kept white people down, when the equivocal language of the 14th Amendment has eroded African Americans’ modest civil rights to such an extent that white females are not only able to claim “discrimination”, but can also take such foolishness ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT?
Yet, when it comes to positive public policy changes for African Americans, WE’RE THE ONES who get called “whiny, lazy, self-centered complainers” who are always playing the “victim/race card”, and who always seem to want everything handed to us.
White people have been receiving HANDOUTS for CENTURIES; in fact, they’re getting handouts, TODAY.
Who speaks to their IRRITATING sense of entitlement?
Who challenges their SELFISHNESS and AVARICIOUSNESS?
I think I get it, now: White people aren’t upset because we’re getting EVERYTHING; they’re upset because we’re getting SOMETHING.
Never mind that what we’re getting, ain’t worth having.